Family Law Attorney Newport Beach
Newport Beach in Orange County, California is a seaside city with a population of over 85,000. The city is known for its temperate climate, having temperatures which rarely go above 70 degrees and receiving little rainfall annually.
The community is known for its affluence, having high median family incomes and soaring property values. According to the Daily Pilot newspaper, more than one quarter of all households have an income exceeding $200,000 and live in homes valued over $1 million. With such high value assets, it is often advised that Newport Beach residents contemplating marriage enter into a prenuptial agreement.
Who Should Get a Prenuptial Agreement
Prenuptial agreements were once thought to be reserved only for those who had significant assets. But the truth is that anyone today can benefit from a prenuptial agreement, including same-sex couples.
A prenuptial agreement serves a number of important purposes:
- Assets can be passed to children from prior marriages. If you have a child from a previous marriage, your prenuptial agreement will define what will happen to your property and who will receive what. Without this agreement in place, a surviving spouse may have the right to claim a large portion of your property.
- You can clarify financial rights. A prenuptial agreement gives couple a chance to lay out what each person’s financial rights are as well as their financial responsibilities.
- You can avoid arguments during a divorce or a marriage. Your agreement will limit the arguing which may ensue throughout the course of your marriage or in the unfortunate event of a divorce since you will have already specified in advance just how your property will be divided.
- It protects you from debt. You can use a prenuptial agreement to protect one another from your debts which you may have accrued prior to your marriage, for your business, and for other reasons.
What Happens If You Do Not Get a Prenuptial Agreement
Without a prenuptial agreement in place, you are leaving it to the state to determine who owns as well as what will happen to your property should you divorce or pass away. In some situations state law will also determine what will happen to property you owned before you were married.
Contact Landon Family Law Today
Before you visit a family lawyer, you can draft your own prenuptial agreement. But it is important to have an attorney at Landon Family Law read it over to make sure that it is legally sound and that your decisions can be upheld in court.
To speak with a Landon Family Law attorney today, please call (949) 257-5188.
Directions To Law Office of Landon C. Villavaso 27201 Puerta Real Ste 300, Mission Viejo, CA 92691, USA
These directions are from Google Maps starting from:
Newport Beach, CA
Total Est. Time: 27 min
Total Est. Distance: 21.3 mi
- Continue to Costa Mesa
- Head south-east on Via Oporto towards Via Lido
- Turn right onto Via Lido
- Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto Newport Blvd
- Take CA-73 S to Greenfield Dr in Laguna Niguel. Take exit 2 from CA-73 S
- Keep left to continue on CA-55 N/State Rte 55 N
- Use the right lane to take exit 5A towards San Diego
- Merge onto CA-73 S
- Partial toll road
- Take exit 2 for Greenfield Dr
- Take Crown Valley Pkwy to Puerta Real in Mission Viejo
- Use any lane to turn right onto Greenfield Dr
- Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Crown Valley Pkwy
- Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Puerta Real
- Make a U-turn
- Destination will be on the right
Call us today (949) 257-5188
We are located at:
Law Office of Landon C. Villavaso
27201 Puerta Real Ste 300
Mission Viejo, CA 92691